Friday, May 18, 2012

Keeping Love Alive

Ok, so we're technically still newlyweds, having only been married for 4.5 years. But we HAVE been together for nearly 10 years, so we have to remind ourselves sometimes that just because we're super comfortable with each other doesn't mean we have to be boring!

 How can we keep things interesting when we know everything there is to know about each other? When we're comfortable around each other always, even in our worst moments? When Robby thinks I'm beautiful in sweats with my hair up and no make-up on? Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the fact that I am so comfortable around Robby that I can be 100% myself around him, without having to worry about what he thinks. But if you're not careful you can end up in a slump.

Lately, I've been feeling really, really boring. We're both in school full-time and I feel like all we do is work and study. When we do have some down time, we're both so mentally and physically exhausted that all we want to do is lay on the couch and veg. We could feel ourselves slipping into a rut, and decided to do something about it.

And then it dawned on me. We never really "dated." I was 15 when we met and started "going out" but at the time I was too young to go anywhere with him alone. The most we did at that point was sit together in church. When I was old enough to actually "go out" with him, we were pretty casual. We went to the mall, the movies, shopping, etc. But we never actually dated, where he planned a date and picked me up on a Friday night to take me somewhere. I feel like we just "hung out."

So we came up with this fabulous idea that every two weeks (payday, of course) one of us will plan a real date for the other person. We'll actually shower for each other! (Kidding...about the fact that we don't shower, not the fact that we will) :)

He wanted to go first. He's told me I need to wear something comfortable, and to bring tennis shoes, a bathing suit, sunglasses, and a towel. I think some of it may be just to throw me off, but we'll see. Funny how I'm so excited about such a small thing.

I'll have to post some of our dates here to give others ideas of different things to do to keep things interesting. Stay tuned!


1 comment:

  1. I love this. In a year when Isaac and I are finally able to settle down and adjust to our permanent life together, I'll have to write an article on keeping love alive in a long distance relationship. So far, it has made our bond feel stronger than I ever anticipated, but we have one more year to endure still. :-)

    ReplyDelete