Sunday, February 19, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Today, I made our first batch of homemade laundry detergent. I know it may sound strange to some of you, but I honestly don't care. Laundry detergent is expensive, and we are trying to save every little bit that we can. With Robby cutting back to part-time work in the Fall, we have to live frugally.

The cost savings are unbelievable. The initial ingredients only cost around $10, and everything but the soap (which is only about $1.50) will last for several batches. The cost comes out to around a penny a load! The recipe makes 10 gallons (yes, you read that correctly)! I don't think we'll ever run out.

Anyway, for those of you who have asked about it, the first load just came out of the dryer, and I would say it was a success. The clothes smell and look clean, and are very soft. All in all, I'd say it worked better than the store-bought stuff! Also, I've heard it's good for people with sensitive skin. My husband is one of those, so we'll see if it helps with that, too.

If you're concerned about the amount of time and effort it takes to make the detergent, don't be. It took me a total of about 45 minutes (most of that was spent stirring the water and waiting for the soap to melt).

Here's what you'll need:
  • Borax
  • Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
  • Fels-Naptha Soap Bar
  • Essential Oil Drops for Fragrance (Optional...I didn't use it for this batch)
  • 5-gallon bucket with lid
You can find all but the bucket at your local grocery store in the laundry aisle. I got my bucket from Lowe's for around $2, but Wal-Mart & Home Depot should have them, too.

Here's what you need to do:

1)  Grate the Fels-Naptha soap bar. I used a cheese grater, but I've also heard you can use a food processor.

2) Put in a pot with 4 cups of hot water. Stir constantly over medium-low heat until all of the soap has melted. There shouldn't be any flakes at all (this is the most time-consuming part). It will be slightly foamy.

3) Fill the 5-gallon bucket halfway with hot water and add the soap mixture.

4) Add 1 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and 1/2 cup of Borax and stir.

5) Fill the rest of the bucket with hot water until full.

6) Cover and let sit overnight to thicken. I would suggest stirring it a few times periodically while it's thickening so it doesn't get too clumpy.

7) When you open the lid the next day, it should have thickened and gelled slightly. Stir. It will be clumpy, so don't worry about that. Just stir it until you've gotten it into small chunks (this is why I suggested in Step 6 to stir occasionally while it's sitting).

8) Fill an empty laundry detergent container or milk jug (or any other container you wish to use) halfway with the soap mixture. Then add water until it is full.

9) Shake well until all the lumps are gone.

This is just 1/8 of what the batch made!
 To use:

  • Be sure to shake the jug to mix up the detergent before each use, as it will thicken and gel.
  • For a top loading machine, use 1/2 cup of detergent; for a front loading machine, use 1/4 cup
  • I've heard some people say their whites did not come out as bright. I would use Oxyclean or bleach if that happens.
Hope this helps! I know we will be saving a ton of money by doing this!

Until my next DIY project...

No comments:

Post a Comment