Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Over-Commercialized or Romantic?

Today is Valentine's Day. It's one of my favorite holidays because, well, I'll just admit it - I'm a hopeless romantic. I love the fact that my husband and I have been together since I was 15, and that he was the first and only guy I ever truly loved. We have so much history together, and it's amazing to see where life has taken us.

It could also be because it is the anniversary of our engagement. Yes, he proposed on Valentine's Day, and yes, it was perfect. It was a day I will never forget. For the sake of being real, I'll say that marriage has not always been the fantasy I naively thought it would be the day I said "yes." I had concocted this completely unrealistic idea of what being married was like, based on the "happily ever after" we see in fairy tales and Hollywood. But you know what they say: "Love is blind."

While not always the blissful fantasy of my imagination, marriage has exceeded some of my wildest expectations. I have learned more than I ever thought possible over the last 4 years. I love Robby more now than I thought I was capable of, and more than I ever have. I have learned to love and respect my husband unconditionally. I have learned that the "bad" experiences we endure together make us stronger, and behind those difficult circumstances, there is so much love, and that's what pulls us through.

There are plenty of people out there who truly dislike Valentine's Day and all that it entails. I think the majority of those people are the ones who don't have someone to share it with. And honestly, I'd probably hate it if I were them, too. But there are plenty of people who do have someone and think it is overrated and just a way for companies like Hallmark to make a buck. Do I think Valentine's Day is an over-commercialized holiday for companies to make millions on poor saps like me? Yes. But I think it's also a wonderful opportunity to share love with others and to let them know how important they are to us. Why not join in on the fun and embrace it?

No comments:

Post a Comment