Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day of Remembrance, Vegetables, & Fall Weather!

This week started with the anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks on our country. A friend posed the following question on his Facebook that really got me thinking: "Why should we 'never forget' September 11th? What does it mean to you to never forget?"

I've been thinking about that a lot since he posted that, and for me, there are a couple of things I think we should "never forget." First of all, I think never forgetting means remembering/honoring the lives of all who lost their lives that day, all the firemen and rescue workers who lost their lives, and all the soldiers who have lost their lives since then. We should also remember all who helped in that catastrophe, and all the soldiers who are still fighting this war. I think we should never forget what happened that day so we will never let it happen again. It gave us an opportunity to raise our awareness and security standards, and I hope we never forget how unprepared we were, so we are never that unprepared again.

On to the rest of the week. A couple of months ago, we planted a vegetable and herb garden. I was SO excited this week when Robby came in and told me we had our first green beans! Soon, we should have corn, zucchini, squash, and cucumbers.

The garden when we first planted it

Our first vegetables:)

This week I also decided that I am going to finish my degree at Limestone. The way my degree is set up at Greenville Tech, the only places I can transfer to and not have to retake a bunch of classes are Southern Wesleyan and Limestone. I really like Southern Wesleyan and it seems to be a great school, but the way their adult studies program is structured just isn't for me. Limestone gives me the flexibility to take only the classes I need and to move at my own pace. So I'll probably start there next Fall. It's nice to have that decision out of the way!

Friday nights we always go to my dad's house for dinner (us, my sister and her family). Last night my dad, me, my sister, and Micah (her 2 year old) were driving to pick up the pizza. I guess "Grandpa" was going too fast, because most of the way he was saying "Wanna slow down." It's really cool to see how well he's learning to talk. He's come such a long way in just a few months.

This week we have been having amazing Fall weather! The highs from now until next Sunday are in the low-to-mid 80s. Have I mentioned how much I love Fall?! Last night after we got home, we got to use the hot tub for the first time this season. I don't know if the weather will stay cool enough for the next couple of weeks to continue using it, but we're enjoying it while it lasts.

I'll end on this note. God has really been working on me lately. He is continuously teaching me the perspective that my circumstances don't need to change - God is using my circumstances to change ME. Instead of asking God to constantly change my circumstances, I need to ask Him to show me what He is trying to teach me through them.

One of my favorite verses helps me remember that, and I thought it might be an encouragement to others as well.

Phillipians 1:6 - "Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment